Hello Mooresville Graded School District families,
The snow has arrived and with freezing temperatures overnight tonight, there will be roads throughout our district that will be potentially hazardous tomorrow. Therefore, we have made the decision for the safety of our students and staff to cancel school again for Thursday, January 18, 2018. Maintenance and custodial staff should report to work as soon as safely possible. All after-school activities and BASP are also cancelled.
Don't forget to stay updated on any changes to MGSD normal district operations via our website, social media channels, Connect5, and local news.
Thank you, stay safe, and stay warm!
Parents should set and enforce rules for home internet use
- Have computer in a common room (not in the bedroom with door closed!)
- Time limit on internet, instant messaging, social networking sites, online gaming, etc.
- Parents should ask and know student's personal username and password for their computer, email accounts, and any social networking sites
Suggestions concerning e-mail
- Parents should have access to students' email
- Threatening email should never be sent
- Attachments bring danger of viruses
- Spam = Junk mail = Don't reply
- Different clients: AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo Instant Messenger, Microsoft Instant Messenger, iChat, Facebook Messenger
- Can hide true identity with a screen name (dancergirl1996)
- Sessions can be saved and printed
Social Networking sites
- Various: Facebook, MySpace, MeeBo, BeBo, BlackPlanet, Buzznet, Habbo, imeem, Jaiku, MiGente, MyChurch, Windows Live Space, Xanga, Instagram, and new ones appearing regularly
- Purpose: Online communities of people who share interests and provide a variety of ways to interact
- Parents should monitor their child's activities on social networking sites and ensue that private data is not posted online
- Banner/pop-up ads: clicking on them places a "cookie" on your computer, allowing websites to track your movements (from Walmart to phishing scams!)
- Never give out personal information, even seemingly innocent and unimportant info
- Never make online purchases without parent permission/supervision...make sure website is secure (https:) befoe entering credit card information
- NEVER make plans to meet with someone you interact with on the internet